Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
As of July 2010, The GDC Office of Professional Standards, in conjunction with local & federal law enforcement partners, have investigated or arrested approximately 464 staff and civilians for introducing contraband into prisons throughout the state.
1) On February 6, 2013, Georgia State Prison Officer Anthony Dekle was arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriffâ€™s Department for crossing the facility guard line with 15.9 oz of marijuana and wrapping papers.
2) On February 6, 2013, Central State Prison Correctional Officer Nykevia Haynes was pulled over during a routine traffic stop by the Henry County Police Department. Upon review of the vehicle, the Flint Circuit Drug Task Force was called to the scene. The task force discovered an undisclosed total of cell phones, tobacco and marijuana. Officer Haynes was arrested and charged with Possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute at the facility.
3) On February 7, 2013, Augusta State Medical Prison Officer Paul Castillo could not clear the metal detector. Two lbs of tobacco were found on Officer Castillo after ASMP officers conducted a search of his person. In addition, officers found one lbs of marijuana in Officer Castilloâ€™s backpack. Richmond County Police Department were notified and arrested Officer Castillo.
4) On February 7, 2013, Augusta State Medical Prison Officer Lance Driggers attempted to clear the metal detector. Officer Driggers consented to a search and ASMP officers found two gallon bags of tobacco, approximately four quart bags of tobacco and 30 packs of rolling papers on his person. Richmond County Police Department was notified and arrested Officer Driggers.
5) On February 8, 2013, the entry building officer at Telfair State Prison detected a strong odor of marijuana on Officer Tyrone Kennedy. Officer Kennedy consented to a search and officers discovered seven bundles (approx. 9 oz) of suspected marijuana wrapped in duct tape on his person. Local authorities were notified and Officer Kennedy was arrested by the Telfair County Sheriffâ€™s Office.
6) On February 10, 2013, Civilian Cameron Mullis and Christi Fletcher were arrested by the Lowndes County Sheriffâ€™s Office for dropping off nine cell phones, four large bundles of tobacco, one small tool set, three blue tooth devices, one bundle of THC, three zip ties and super glue at Valdosta State Prison.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.