1) On Sunday, November 20, 2011, Jovanna Whitaker was arrested by the Telfair County Sheriffâ€™s Department at Telfair State Prison in Helena. She was at the facility to visit an inmate and admitted to bringing in contraband when the inmate was discovered to have marijuana in his possession.
2) On Sunday, November 20, 2011, Brenda Monte was arrested at Washington State Prison in Davisboro after 20 balloons of tobacco and one balloon containing rolling papers were found in her possession.
3) On Monday, November 21, 2011, Jason Ledbetter and Kiafra Hall were arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriffâ€™s Department after they dropped off 48 packs of tobacco near Rogers State Prison in Reidsville.
4) On Wednesday, November 23, 2011, Dennoris Franklin was arrested by the Calhoun County Sheriffâ€™s Department after he was spotted at Calhoun State Prison in Morgan. Authorities searched the area where he was seen and found two cell phones, one cell phone charger, 33 small bundles of tobacco and three small bundles of marijuana.
5) On Wednesday, November 23, 2011, Officer Willie Mays was arrested by the Butts County Sheriff Department at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson. Tobacco and prescription drugs were found in his possession.
6) On Friday, November 25, 2011, Rashad Blackshear was arrested by the Glennville Police Department after he was spotted at Smith State Prison in Glennville. Blackshear threw a bag over a fence containing four cell phones, four cell phone chargers, one bag of tobacco, one bag of marijuana, two packs of rolling papers and a lighter.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.