Copyright © 2016 All Rights Reserved
Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
**MORE THAN 789 CIVILIANS AND 195 STAFF MEMBERS HAVE BEEN ARRESTED TO DATE FOR ATTEMPTING TO INTRODUCE CONTRABAND INTO GDC FACILITIES.**
- On August 1, 2015, at Valdosta State Prison, Officer Joshua Rowan attempted to enter the facility, but was unable to clear the metal detector. After a search was conducted, the following items were found on Rowan; one pack of cigarettes and a bundle of tobacco. Joshua Rowan was arrested by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office.
- On August 1, 2015, at Valdosta State Prison, during a search that took place at a staff briefing, three officers were found to have drug paraphernalia (weight undetermined) located on their persons. Officer Christopher Clayton, Officer Jessica Mitchell, and Officer Kenneth Grover were arrested by the Macon County Sheriffâ€™s Office for possession of contraband.
- On August 2, 2015, at Georgia State Prison, staff noticed a strong odor of marijuana on visitor Morgan Mitchell as she attempted to enter the facility. Mitchell was searched and a container of marijuana (weight undetermined) was found on her person. Morgan Mitchell was arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriff's Department.
- On August 2, 2015, at Hays State Prison, visitor Christia Smith was arrested by the Chattooga County Sheriff's Department for attempting to bring contraband into the facility. The search resulted in the following items found on Christia Smith: 1.3 ounces of marijuana and 0.9 ounces of tobacco.
- On August 2, 2015, at Ware State Prison, staff noticed a bulge in the clothing of visitor Sanivia Wise as she attempted to enter the facility. Wise refused to be searched, and awaited the arrival of the Ware County Sheriffâ€™s Department. Wise later admitted to having marijuana and methamphetamine hidden on her person. Sanivia Wise was arrested by the Ware County Sheriffâ€™s Department.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.