Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
As of July 2010, The GDC Office of Professional Standards, in conjunction with local & federal law enforcement partners, have investigated or arrested approximately 681 staff and civilians for introducing contraband into prisons throughout the state.
- On August 5, 2014 at a Hancock State Prison detail site, Eatonton Police Department witnessed civilian Emmuel Reid attempting to drop off a package intended for an inmate. Civilian Emmuel Reid was arrested by the Eatonton Police Department.
- On August 9, 2014 at Ware State Prison, vehicle searches were being conducted by the K9 unit. K9 alerted on THC residue found on the vehicle belonging to visitor Aleses Meredith. When questioned by staff, visitor Meredith admitted to having a plastic package that contained THC on her person. The THC was confiscated via strip search. Visitor Aleses Meredith was arrested by the Ware County Sheriff's Office.
- On August 9, 2014 at Ware State Prison, vehicle searches were being conducted by the K9 unit. K9 alerted on vehicle belonging to visitor Renee Gironella. The vehicle was searched and the following items were found; six (5 pound) bags of tobacco, rolling papers, two cell phones, and receipts for 32 cell phones, which visitor Gironella stated were at home for future delivery. Visitor Renee Gironella was arrested by the Ware County Sheriff's Office.
- On August 10, 2014 at Valdosta State Prison, Officer Damion Williams was not able to clear the metal detector upon reporting for duty. Officer Williams removed his boots and one pack of Bugler tobacco was discovered. Officer Williams stated that he bought the tobacco on his way home yesterday, threw the tobacco in his car, stating that it must have fallen into his boots. A search of Officer Williams and his vehicle was conducted and staff discovered the following items; one pack of TOP rolling papers in his uniform shirt pocket, a green dot credit card in his wallet and various receipts and inmate letters in his vehicle. Officer Damion Williams was arrested by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department.
- On August 10, 2014 at Georgia Diagnostic âˆ“ Classification Prison (GDCP), visitor Jennifer Roe purchased a soda from a vending machine with intent to deliver to an inmate. Staff observed the soda that visitor Roe had purchased and noticed that the bottle had been tampered with. An object wrapped in black tape was found floating in the drink. The object tested positive for marijuana. Visitor Roe admitted to having brought in the contraband, taped inside of her bra. The Butts County Sheriff's Office conducted a search of visitor Roe and her vehicle and discovered $4,380 in cash located in Roe's vehicle. Visitor Jennifer Roe was arrested by the Butt's County Sheriff's Office.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.