Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
**MORE THAN 646 CIVILIANS AND 129 STAFF MEMBERS HAVE BEEN ARRESTED TO DATE FOR ATTEMPTING TO INTRODUCE CONTRABAND INTO GDC FACILITIES.**
1) On October 1, 2013 at Dodge State Prison, Officer Kenneth Patterson was arrested for attempting to bring 1 pound of tobacco, approximately 10 grams of marijuana and rolling papers into the facility. Officer Patterson was arrested by the Dodge County Sheriff's Department.
2) On October 4, 2013, GDC employee and Floyd County Detail Officer Philip Cromer was found to be in possession of packs of tobacco and smokeless tobacco. Officer Cromer admitted to procuring contraband for inmates on at least three occasions. Officer Cromer was arrested.
3) On October 6, 2013 at Baldwin State Prison, Officer John Taylor was arrested by the Baldwin County Sheriff's Department for attempting to bring contraband into the facility. When placing his jacket on the x-ray machine a black ball fell out of the pocket and Officer Taylor kicked it under the machine. The Portal Sergeant continued to process him and upon search the following items were found wrapped in black electrical tape: five bundles of tobacco, one bundle of marijuana and four packs of rolling papers.
4) On October 6, 2013 at Ware State Prison, Officer Josh White was arrested by the Ware County Sheriff's Office for bringing in approximately two ounces of tobacco.
5) On October 6, 2013 at Lee Arrendale State Prison, visitor David Larry McMichen attempted to introduce tobacco, wrapping paper and five $20 dollar bills. Visitor McMichen was arrested by the Habersham County Sheriff's Office.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.