Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
**MORE THAN 554 CIVILIANS AND 95 STAFF MEMBERS HAVE BEEN ARRESTED TO DATE FOR ATTEMPTING TO INTRODUCE CONTRABAND INTO GDC FACILITIES.**
1) On January 10, 2013, a Rogers State Prison Lieutenant observed a car parked near prison housing. The Lt. made contact with a male subject and asked if he needed assistance. The subject stated he did not and the Lt. left. Later the same vehicle was observed leaving a store across from Georgia State Prison. Rogers State Prison Lt. notified Tattnall County Sheriff's Office. Officers initiated a traffic stop and the driver was identified as civilian Frantre M. Clark and the passenger was civilian Tonya D. Rich. Civilian Clark gave consent to search the vehicle. Officers found 59 rolls of tobacco wrapped in black electrical tape, red duct tape and 49 clear plastic bags of tobacco. Civilian Clark and Rich were arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriff's Office.
2) On January 12, 2013, visitor Mary Lou White signed in to Post 1 to visit an inmate at Telfair State Prison. While signing in, an officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana on visitor White. Visitor White was asked to consent to a search. Visitor White complied, but before the search was conducted she attempted to hide a package containing 13 small balloons of marijuana in the chair she was sitting in. Visitor White was turned over to the local police department and was informed that the vehicle she rode in would be conducted. Civilian Amber Summerhill was informed that her vehicle would be searched due to the incident involving visitor White. Officers found a black suitcase with 63 miniature bottles of assorted liquor and a small balloon of marijuana. Visitor White and Civilian Summerhill were taken into custody by the Helena Police Department.
3) On January 13, 2013 at Autry State Prison, visitor Gerald Davis was caught at the front entry with eight (8) small balls of THC. Mitchell County Sheriff's Office was contacted and visitor Davis was arrested.
4) On January 13, 2013, Nicholls Police Department found a man hiding in the bushes on private property adjacent to Coffee Correctional Facility. Officers found three (3) footballs containing 16 cell phones, 10 charges and some tobacco. He was taken into custody where he admitted to his plan to throw the items over the fence at Coffee Correctional Facility. The man was identified as Adrian Kay.
5) On January 13, 2013, Hancock State Prison Officer Phrashunda Holmes reported to work and was asked to consent to a strip search due to intel gathered that she had been introducing contraband into the facility. Officer Holmes refused, wrote a statement of resignation and proceeded to her vehicle. Hancock County Sheriff's Office was notified. Officer Holmes left the facility, however was pulled over by Hancock County Sheriff's Office for failure to maintain lane. During the traffic stop, officers found that Officer Holmes was in possession of a considerable amount of marijuana. Officer Holmes was arrested.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.