Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
1) On July 4, 2012, the Reidsville Police Department conducted a routine traffic stop and noticed that three (3) female suspects were acting nervous. The driver of the vehicle did not have a valid driver 's license. All three (3) suspects were transported to the Tattnall County Jail. Later, a Tattnall County Sheriff 's deputy observed Civilian Leon Hagins walking towards Reidsville from the prison. The deputy picked up the subject and transported him to the Tattnall County Jail. A cell phone was obtained from civilian Hagins and received a call from what appeared to be an inmate. The deputy talked with the inmate, who told him where to drop the package. Civilian Hagins lead security staff to where he had dropped the contraband. The contraband consisted of 74 packages of tobacco weighing approximately three (3) pounds. Civilian Hagins and Civilian Baldwin are being charged for this incident. Based on the statements from all involved, the two other civilians are not being charged.
2) On July 4, 2012, Visitor Candice Garner was arrested by Ware County Sheriffâ€™s Office for bringing contraband across a guard line. She was observed passing contraband to an inmate and the inmate consented to a search and two (2) packages of tobacco were found.
3) On July 4, 2012, staff smelled a strong odor of marijuana on Visitor Casey Kay at Smith State Prison. Glennville Police Department and Georgia State Police K-9 Unit were notified and she consented to a search. A tube of lubricating gel, wrapped in plastic wrap was found inside her bra. K-9 Unit then proceeded to search the visitorâ€™s vehicle and found two (2) packages of tobacco, one (1) tube of lubricating gel, one (1) roll of black electrical tape, two (2) syringes and Cocaine. After removing the contraband from her vehicle, Kay stated that she had additional contraband inside her person. She stated that she was willing to retrieve those items and was escorted back into the institution. She was then taken into custody by the Glennville Police Department. Items wrapped in the black tape were tested by Glennville PD and identified as 1Â¼ oz marijuana and Â¾ oz of meth.
4) On July 7, 2012, the K-9 unit was alerted to Visitor Teresa Franklin's car at Calhoun State Prison. She confessed and agreed to be searched and retrieved the balloons herself. She had 60 balloons in the console and 40 balloons inside her person. She had a total quantity of 49.4 grams of marijuana. Visitor Teresa Franklin was arrested by Calhoun Sheriff Department for bringing drugs across the guard line.
5) On July 8, 2012 Visitor Kasandra Itzel Arreolamendoza attempted to introduce three (3) balloons of contraband into Ware State Police. Two (2) balloons contained marijuana with a total weight of half an ounce, the other balloon was 9 grams (.3 ounces) of cocaine. She was discovered to have a fake ID and was not on the inmates visiting list. Her car was searched with no further contraband; however, two more fake ID's were found. Ware County SO assisted in the arrest.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.