Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
As of July 2010, The GDC Office of Professional Standards, in conjunction with local & federal law enforcement partners, have investigated or arrested approximately 307 staff and civilians for introducing contraband into prisons throughout the state.
1) On June 2, 2012, visitor Vega Miralla was arrested by Macon County Sheriff's Deputy for attempting to introduce several ounces of marijuana and one (1) cellphone into Macon State Prison.
2) On June 2, 2012, the vehicle of visitor Cabrisha Anderson was searched due to finding four (4) bags containing a green leafy substance inside shoe sole of an inmate she had visited at Riverbend Correctional Facility. Drugs and a number of fake forms of identification were found during the search of her vehicle. Video of the visit revealed that Anderson exchanged shoes with the inmate during visitation. Anderson was arrested by the Milledgeville Police Department.
3) On June 3, 2012, visitor Renee Roberts was arrested by the Milledgeville Police Department after she failed to clear the metal detector. The Front Entry Officer at Riverbend Correctional Facility noticed unusual lumps in the soles of Roberts' shoes. Seven (7) packages of tobacco were found. Inmate attempted to enter visitation, but was not allowed. Inmate was wearing same type of shoes as Roberts.
4) On June 3, 2012, visitor Janice Cazares could not clear the metal detector at Riverbend Correctional Facility. Cazares consented to a search and staff found 15 bags of tobacco and three (3) cellphone batteries. Cazares was arrested by Milledgeville Police Department.
5) On June 3, 2012, Rogers State Prison staff observed a vehicle pull into the maintenance building on property. The Tattnall Sheriff's Office responded and conducted a search of the vehicle. Three (3) cell phones, three (3) chargers, three (3) cigarette lighters, one (1) roll of electrical tape and one (1) bottle of unlabeled prescription drugs were found. Civilians Britney Petty and Dominique Knight were arrested by the Tattnall Sheriff's Office.
6) On June 3, 2012, Correctional Officer Jamal Traore was pulled over by the Liberty County Sheriff's Department for speeding. The arresting officer smelled marijuana and searched the vehicle. Officer Traore admitted he had tobacco on his person and that he planned to introduce five (5) packages of marijuana, tobacco and coffee into Smith State Prison. Officer Traore was arrested by the Liberty County Sheriff's Department.
7) On June 3, 2012, Officer Daisy Gillis was observed acting suspiciously, wrapping an item in a paper towel, placing the item on a food tray and into a trash bag. When Officer Gillis left the area, the bag was checked and five (5) Black and Mild cigars were found. Officer Gillis admitted she had brought the cigars into Telfair State Prison for an inmate. Officer Gillis had been paid $300 on a Green Dot card. Officer Gillis was arrested by the Helena Police Department.
8) On June 4, 2012, the Reidsville Police Department stopped a suspicious vehicle on HWY 147 headed towards Rogers State Prison. After questioning and a search of the vehicle, 50 packages of tobacco and approximately two (2) ounces of marijuana was found. Civilians Norby and Cosby were arrested by the Reidsville Police Department.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.