Contraband Arrests at GDC Facilities
1) On May 8, 2012, Georgia State Prison Officer Thadderious Walker entered the facility with a 32 ounce drink. The cup was searched and officers found three (3) cell phones wrapped in black electrical tape. Officers also found a small amount of tobacco wrapped in tape in the officer's shirt pocket. Officer Walker was arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriff's Office.
2) On May 9, 2012, after a Coffee Correctional Facility staff member could not clear the metal detector two females were observed turning around to go back to their vehicles. The officers were stopped and CCA K-9 and staff searched their vehicles. Officer Natalie Bergman had approximately half a pound of marijuana in her vehicle and Officer Ruth Taylor had a small bundle of tobacco. Officers Bergman and Taylor were arrested by the Nicholls Police Department.
3) On May 9, 2012, Coffee Correctional Facility Officer Shakonda Young could not clear the metal detector. After a search was conducted, Officers found three (3) bundles of tobacco and approximately one (1) ounce of marijuana. Officer Young was arrested by the local police department.
4) On May 9, 2012, during a check of Ware State Prison staff arriving to work Officer Jarod Taylor was found to be in possession of a zip lock bag containing tobacco. Officer Taylor was arrested by Ware County Sheriff's Department.
5) On May 13, 2012, Visitor Angeleck Brown could not clear the metal detector at the front entrance building at Dodge State Prison. Officers confiscated a cell phone. Visitor Brown was arrested by the Dodge County Sheriff's Office.
6) On May 13, 2012, a Rogers State Prison officer observed a female place a plastic bag inside a trash can. Officers found a bag that contained 32 packages of marijuana in the trash can. The Tattnall County Sheriff's Office was contacted and stopped the female who was observed placing the bag in the trash can at the facility. Civilian Skylar Williams admitted to placing the bag containing 20 ounces of marijuana for a Rogers State Prison inmate. Civilian Williams was arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriff's Office.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.